Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ocean City to Wachapreague, VA. Aug. 14th.

The sea Gods liked us again. We had enough of the canal and bay stuff so we decided to go outside and do the entire 72 mile run down to Wachapreague out in the ocean. Seas were again basically flat with 1' to 2' rollers and an occasional 4 footer. Everything was fine until I got down to the Wachapreague Inlet. This is a tricky one! To say the least. We did figure it out and made it thru the inlet. OK, life is good........ WRONG!. This is a place where the inlet channel meets up with the intercoastal waterway and I ended up mis-reading the daymarkers when it went from "Red 10" to "Red 122". Yep, while up on plane, I abruptly came to a halt. Up on a sand bar.......... no way.......... yep way!!
Stuck in about 1 foot of water and a foot of mud. I had to get out and I could sea under the boat......... Damn.. and things were going so good!
Now, no cell phone coverage and nobody was answering the radio. I had to walk the anchor out to deep water and we waited about an hour and a half. The good news......... the tide was a comin in baby...... the bad news.... we were still stuck! After a while and when an occasional boat would go by, I could pull on the anchor line and rock it out. Took a while and then the boat started to float and I pulled myself outta there and made the rest of the 1/2 mile run into Wachapreague Marina.
If anybody tells you they traveled the intercoastal waterway without getting stuck, I would have to say they are not telling the truth. When we got into the marina, we heard of other stories as well. I had to clean out the engine intake strainers and everything else seams to be OK - for now!
Dawn, takin it all in!
We had a most delicious meal at a restaurant called "FishTales" Dawn said it was the best prime rib she had had in years. I had the stuffed soft crabs. MMMmmmm good!
The chef "Walter".
We walked around town and managed to catch this sunset.

No comments: